Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Week 90 "Be of Good Cheer, for I Have Overcome All Things"


Hey everyone! This week has been a pretty decent week. I'm still doing well in Bellingham, even though the work is tough, but oh well, that's missionary work. Anyway, here is the week.

Monday
We started the day with shopping and then went to the church to get some emailing done. After, we then did some shopping at the mall. Elder Rich needed some new shoes, so he bought some. From that we then went to the institute on western campus. Since I served in the YSA ward, it was so weird going back. I still remember how to get there. Once there, we played games as well as foosball, pool, table tennis, and other things. I was able to set up my Facebook earlier before we went over, so I spent the whole time cleaning up my Facebook. That was fun! #beingsarcastic After a while, we then went back home and saw some people for the rest of them night as well as had dinner.


Tuesday
Tuesday was great! I'm being sarcastic again. We had zone conference all day. At zone conference, they instructed us all on how to use our new phones, how to plan effectively for investigators, and how to make investigators in the area book planner. It was a lot of training. I was tired after it all. After zone conference, we then went and had a lesson with Cai. Cai, AKA Mordecai, is a new investigator that we picked up this week. He was a referral from the Spanish elders. They were teaching his brother but soon found out that they are all English speaking, so they gave them to us. He’s a cool kid. He really wants to learn about everything. He took the Book of Mormon that the Spanish elders gave him and starter reading it. He told them that he would read 20 pages and then pray and then keep doing that process. He also read the whole restoration pamphlet. So, when we went to go and see him, we were pretty excited to figure out what he had learned and what he was like. The meeting went well. We're went over and reviewed the restoration of the gospel Jesus Christ with him. He's very receptive when it comes to the lesson, but he is also socially awkward. He's only 14 years old as well. He's a great kid, and it'll take some time for us to try to teach him and get to know him as well. After our lesson with Cai, we were able to have dinner and then went home and studied for the rest the night.

Wednesday
We had district meeting. At said district meeting, Elder Rich instructed on how to achieve our goals that we have set as a mission. It went really well. After district meeting, we had lunch. Then we did comp study, and we went and saw people for the rest of the day. We were supposed to have a lesson with Jason French at 3, but he was not there, and this is the third time he has cancelled on us on an appointment. We decided to drop him as investigator since he was not progressing, and we haven't seen him in 3 weeks. For the rest of the day, we went and saw more people. Then we had dinner at our apartment. After, we went to the church and did some area book work on the phone. Then we exchanged with Bellingham Bay.

Thursday
Thursday I spent the day with Elder Budacover. We had a blast! Our day consisted of going to the food bank in the morning and doing service for them. We just helped organize food like always. After, we then went and did some service for someone in their ward. We just helped them move some furniture into a truck. After, we then went back to the apartment and did some comp study and had some lunch. Then we went and had a lesson with Sister Oldham. We brought Brother Jones with us. That went well. We taught the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ to her. She had a lot of questions about some things in the Bible and about the church. We were able to answer those questions the best week could. She understands the restoration pretty well, but she just has some gospel misunderstandings. After our lesson, we then came back and had dinner. Then we ran to a lesson with Sister Kaveh. She is doing all right. We shared a Mormon message with her called My New Life. Many of you probably saw it on my Facebook post. It is a really good video. After that lesson, we then went home and did some area book work. Then we exchanged back with Bellingham Bay.

Friday
We had the food bank once again in the morning. After that, we came home, had some lunch, and did comp study. We then went and did some service for a sister in our ward. She needed a couch moved and some other things. It only took 45 minutes. Then we went to the church to weekly plan. After 2 hours, we then went and saw some people. We went and saw our investigator, Nate. He seems to be doing alright. He is busy as ever, but we were able to talk with him and set up Facebook so we can contact him better. After seeing some more people we then went and had dinner with Brother Shank. He took us to Five Guys. That was really good. Then we went back home and did some area book work at the church, and that ended our night.

Saturday
We spent a lot of time in the morning going and seeing people, lots of potentials and a lot of former investigators. Recently, we’ve pretty much been cleaning out our area book because of a lot of the people that are in there have dates from 2015 or 2014 or 2016. We don't understand why that is the case. After, we went and had some lunch. Then we had comp study. Then we went to the church for more weekly planning. After finishing that up, we went and saw some more people. Then we went to dinner. It went really well. After dinner, we went and had a lesson with Joey Jones, Brother Jones’s son. We taught him about the law chastity, reading and praying often, and going to church. It seemed to go decently well, however, he does not have a like for church because it is boring. That is the answer for every little kid that doesn't like going to Church, sadly. After that, we had our meeting with Brother Jones and showed him how to look up the progress record on LDS tools. I'm pretty sure all of you ward missionaries in Utah know what that is like.

Sunday
We started the day with church. After church, we had a correlation meeting. Church was great, but no more peaceful this week, don't know why. After correlation meeting, we then went home and had some lunch. Then we did some planning, personal study, comp study, and then we went and saw some people for the day. Then we went and had dinner. After, we went back to the church and did some more area book work. Then we ended the night with accounting.

Well that's the end of my week. I hope you all have been able to see my posts on Facebook. I'm really trying to post as much as I can about the atonement. I feel like that's what a lot of people need to hear about while everyone else floods the world with the Book of Mormon. I will still flood the world with it, but I feel like we need to expand on that instead of just saying what our purpose is as missionaries and stuff. I want to let people know they have been given the gift to repent and to change and that the atonement makes up the rest. I love that aspect more than just doing what everyone else is doing. If I can help someone overcome something because of what I've posted, I will be so grateful for that. Don't get me wrong, the Book of Mormon is great, but it is the thing that leads us to the atonement, just as the atonement brings us to the Book of Mormon. Anyway, enough said about that. I know I wrote a lot, but I want to share my post from Facebook that I sent yesterday. Just for those who haven't read it. I challenge you with this to go read this scripture and see what it means to you.

Happy Sunday!
I hope everyone has enjoyed it, I know I have felt peace and love from my Savior today. I wanted to share a scripture that I read this week that really helped me a lot this week. I promise I'll explain the parable:

22 ¶ And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.
23 The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
24 Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?
25 And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?
26 If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?
27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?
29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.

30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
31 ¶ But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Now what this is saying, you can take it however you want, but the way that I've taken it is this way:
When it comes to things in life, don't be puffed up in pride. Consider the lilies. They don't grow to be big blossoming flowers. They become little flowers, so humble and small. Our heavenly father desires us to be like that, humble and small so we can receive help from the atonement to lift us up. Now consider the ravens. They fly to and fro looking for their food. But yet God provides for their needs, so He does with us if we have such great faith and focus on Him and His son, Jesus Christ. Lastly, Christ is telling us, “Don't seek after worldly things, because if you do, you will only find sadness and doubt. If you seek for the kingdom of God, the Lord will bless you forever more with your dreams and desires.” How do we do such a thing? We follow the gospel of Jesus Christ, have faith in Him, repent, be baptized, or if you are already baptized, take the sacrament, receive the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end.

This helped me so much because I was doubting my own revelations. God has shown me so much since I've been out here about things that have happened and things to come. I can't wait for my future, and I know a little bit about it. But I felt that what the Lord was telling me then was, “Don't get scared about these things. If you seek the kingdom of heaven, you will be blessed with your desires. Don't get caught up in sadness or doubt. Look ahead of that and be of good cheer, for I have overcome all things, and with me nothing is impossible.” I know that to be true, and I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

Love you all. See you in 3 months!!! 

Elder Hammond

No comments:

Post a Comment