Thursday, October 5, 2017

Week 60 General Conference

What a week this has been! I am truly grateful for the words that have been spoken by our apostles, and general authorities of the church. They have lifted me up and helped me to have a better understanding of not only my call, but how much my Father in Heaven loves me. Also, I played I spy with Brother Peterson in the MoTab. My friend, I didn't even know you were in it! I saw you so much though, it reminded me of home a lot. Haha! I promise I'm not trunky. Anyway, here is my week for you.

Brother Peterson in the MoTab
Monday
Monday was the kinda not too much fun p-day. We went shopping, emailing, and we went to Goodwill and looked around for several hours at things. We also had lunch somewhere in there. After the several attempts to find something fun to do, the other elders all ditched us, and we were left alone for the last 3 hours of our p-day. We didn't know what to do except look in more stores and plan out the rest of the day. At the end of the day, we had dinner, and then we went off and visited people for the rest of the night.

Tuesday
After progressing, we went and did service at the senior center. After, we had lunch, comp study, and then we traveled into the area and did some work close by our investigator Ruvim. After knocking on several houses and no one being interested or home, we went to Ruvim's house for a lesson to find he was at work, so we got back into the car and drove our way back home to have dinner. Then we went to go see people around where we lived. We went to see one person named Anthony, but he wasn't there. Instead there was a black guy at the door, and when we asked if Anthony was there, he just looked at us, laughed, and said "No bro." He walked past us, got on his bike, and rode away. As he was riding away he yelled at us, "It's like Harry Potter, man. Don't worry." At this point, Elder Powers and I were both confused and weirded out. If I was my old self, I would have ran him down and asked where this man was, but not wanting to get into the car and to even get myself in trouble, we knocked on the door again, no answer, and left the house. After that fiasco, we then went street contacting for the rest of the night. 

Wednesday
We had zone conference that lasted a good amount of the day. The zone leaders, President Wilding, Sister Wilding, Elder Lelo, and Elder Brown all instructed on being minions of the Lord we serve. President's instruction was more on why we are a high expectation mission, and a high love mission, while Elder Lelo's and Elder Brown's remarks were to help us to teach better as minions of the Lord, and yes I am talking about the little yellow guys from Despicable Me. After all the instructions and role plays, we then had lunch as a zone, and then dispersed, except me and a couple other missionaries that wanted to talk to President. When it was my turn, I told him what had been bothering me the past few days and how I approached it with prayer and scripture study. He gave me some council, I thanked him, and I looked toward general conference to answer my question. After that, we drove home and had personal study, comp. study, and then, out of the blue, Elder Brown set up an exchange for that night. so we got Elder Powers packed and went to dinner before the exchange. Then we exchanged and then came home.



Thursday
I wish I had biked every mile I walked. We had to save miles because it was the end of the month. We walked to every person we saw that day, had lunch and comp study at noon, then in the evening we drove to see Sam only to find out that he wasn't home. We had dinner, and then we did some service for a member. We were going to stack wood for him, but after much consideration, we just put it all under his tent where he was keeping it. Then we came home and exchanged back. I had a great time with Elder Brown.

Friday
We helped at the food bank. Then as a district, except Sultan, we had lunch at Red Robin. After, we came home, had personal study, comp. study, and then we started weekly planning before Brother Tate picked us up for dinner. We had dinner, and then we came home to finish weekly planning. 

Saturday
We watched both sessions of general conference and had lunch with Monroe. Then we went to go see some people before the priesthood session. After, we went to Hot Iron for dinner and had a great time. We ended the night by burning up left over miles. 

Sunday
We saw both session, had lunch, and we also saw the world report. That made me happy to see that the work on the Jordan River Temple was going to be done, and it will be dedicated by the time I get home!!! I can't wait. Then after all of that, we came home, had personal study, and went to the Zittings to share a message. After, we came home, had dinner, and then went to try to see more people before the night was over, but no one opened their doors, so we went home. We accounted and went to bed.

Like I said, general conference was amazing! I can honestly say I used to love the fact that I could sit in comfy clothes on Sunday and play prophet bingo with all the many flavors of Skittles we could get. Now that I've grown up and matured, tasting the rainbow isn't really all that important for me any more. What you could say is that I have changed from playing games and falling asleep when the rest of my family fell asleep during conference... (sorry) to eyes wide open, ears to hear, and a spirit ready to be taught by our latter day prophet and apostales. I have come a long way, and if you may so wonder why I can boldly testify of the truth, or why others serving missions can as well, even people you know in your life, remember we all have gone through trials that have perfected us to deeper understanding of God's love for us. If you knew the trials I have gone through and knew what I'm doing now to change, you would not see me as the same person. I am grateful I serve a God who is perfect and who provided a Savior for us, and has his son lead by example, so we can become perfected ourselves. I echo what Jefferey R. Holland spake yesterday, which is, God would not command us to be perfect like his son, unless it was attainable. "Perfect" does not mean what the world thinks. It means finished, complete, in no need to do over again. Brothers and sisters, our lives are exactly that. We are becoming exactly that. We have repentance that allows us to become clean of our sins and to be brought back to that perfect state where we started. Because of Jesus Christ, the war is already won, and we, as disciples of Him, must follow His path. I promise, bothers and sisters, as we look outward, in love towards others, learn from Him, and be obedient, we will be converted. Being obedient leads us to conversion. Being obedient helps to make us PERFECT! I know he lives. I know God is our Heavenly Father. I know I am being forgiven of my sins ever day, when I ask Him, and I promise as you turn to Him, my friends, He will do the same for you. Then will you remember that His grace is sufficient for you. Then shall you look towards Him and nothing but praises will leave your mouth. I so testify of this truth, and I hope all that read or hear my words can believe them and know that they come from a witness of Jesus Christ. You are loved! Don't forget that. I leave these things with you and promises as well, in the name of Jesus Christ, my best friend, Amen.

Elder Hammond  

No comments:

Post a Comment