Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Week 2 More Notes from the MTC

Wow! I honestly don't know what to say about this week. The only reason why I say that is because I didn't write a lot in my journal this week. The reason why was because days started to become the same. Class was at this time..., I had to be awake at this time..., I had to have lights out at this time..., and nothing really exciting happened for most of the days. I did have a couple of journal entries, but I guess what I could be saying is the MTC is a great place, but when you've been here for a while, it really starts to get to you. You have class every day at the same time, always feeling the spirit, eating the same food a lot of the time, and it starts to get really old really fast. Your district leader requires you to stay in class for personal or companion study instead of going outside or to your dorms for it, and you really don't get enough sleep so you are about to fall asleep in class and not anywhere else. Plus I feel like I've gained so much weight here because we don't get to exercise enough. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love it here, but the MTC is starting to get old really fast, and I'm ready to be on that plane to Washington, but sometimes I forget that it's not my wants that matters, it's the lord's will that always directs my life. Last week I told a quote to all my family, and I feel that everyone needs to hear this. "The Savior turns outward in service while most of us turns inward." - Elder Bednar.  That's what I'm trying to do out here on my mission...turn outward like Christ, and I hope we can learn to do that too.
Let's be more like the Savior

Tuesday
Last Tuesday I had a really good p day. I got to relax a little bit and do my laundry which is what I'm going to do soon. We also had a devotional which a general auxiliary leader came and talked to us. She talked about how the Savior has plans for each and every one of us, and I really liked it and related it to my life a ton.

Wednesday
Wednesday was an ok day, but what i really enjoyed was I got to start off the day with the spirit in my heart. We were in exercise time and playing four square, and as we were playing one of the elders dove on the ground and dislocated his shoulder... it looked so bad. He walked over to the infirmary, and they helped him into a sling and gave him some ice to help the pain, but the elder's face looked as pale as could be. It never quiet crossed my mind to go see if the elder was ok until i felt a prompting, and i am convinced it was from the Lord to go over and see how he was. I've been through a dislocation before so if there was anyone that knew what it felt like, that person would be me. So I got out of the four square game and walked over to see how he was doing. He was in so much pain that he could not speak enough to describe his pain. I looked at his companion, and he was worried for his life. He had no idea what to do. Then, as i looked at this elder in pain and suffering, a line from my patriarchal blessing, came across my mind. "Jordan, as you serve the Lord, you will see him do many miracles upon you and the people you serve. Those miracles will be great in the eyes of God." (it probably doesn't say that last part, but then again my memory is pretty dramatic) I asked him if he would like a blessing, and he nodded his head. I ran to where all the name tags were with his companion to look for oil because I didn't have my own to offer. Then to my surprise, I found that my companion brought his with him. I love how the spirit works cause at this time, I didn't know where he was. He was at the top square on four square and right as he was about to serve the ball he got a feeling that he should come and find me. So he followed that prompting and came over to where I was, thinking that I needed to leave. He asked if I wanted to leave, but I told him, "No, there's an elder that needs a blessing, and I need to use your oil for the blessing. Would you come help me give it." He said yes, and we went to go give this blessing. After he had placed the oil on his head and anointed the elder, I gave the blessing to seal it. As I did, the spirit came upon me like it never had before, and I felt so much spirit in this elder. I blessed him that his arm would heal and that his shoulder would fit back into place. Then I felt the impression to let him know that his Heavenly Father loves him very much and his family would be safe as he served the Lord. I blessed him with the strength to fight the pain, and that as the day goes on he would not feel it any more. As I ended the blessing, the over powering spirit stayed with me until I left that building. Later in the day, I found him again and asked him how he was doing. He said he was doing much better and the pain didn't bother him that much any more. He thanked me for the blessing, and he and his companion walked on. Never in my life had I felt the spirit so strong in any place or with any one then right there and then, and I was so grateful for it.

Sunday
Sunday was a great day. Like last Sunday, I felt the spirit so strong and had a great time. The best part is that we had the Nashville Tribute Band come and sing to us for our devotional. It's crazy how much spirit music can bring into people's lives. It's great! We also had a temple walk and sacrament meeting, and that was great too.

Now for some things that are needed to be heard by my family. In general, my companion is a great man and full with the spirit. Yes, he's very strong because he was a wrestler in Cedar City. He loves having good times, and yeah he was a farm boy in Idaho for some time. He keeps me in check and is a great guy.

The food here is ok. It's not amazing as everyone said it was. I enjoy it, but I'm always full, and I wish I could just burn a lot of what I eat off, instead of letting it sit for a long time while I'm in class.

I did reserve my flight plans already, and I've bought a phone card to talk to you guys, but the bad part is my flight leaves for Seattle at 7:38 AM. If you will all get up early in the morning so I can talk to you all, I'll be calling around 6:00- 6:30 next Tuesday. If you can wake up to talk to me then before I get on the plane, that would be great.
I love you all and miss you a ton. You are all in my prayers. Until two weeks from now, this is my report. Thank you all, and so long from the MTC.

- Elder Hammond



No comments:

Post a Comment